The Feel Amazing Chatswood Massage Information Page! (June 2019 update)
Welcome to the Feel Amazing massage page. Below you will find in-depth information about massage as well as specific information on our massage treatments here at Feel Amazing. We have been delivering award-winning massage in Chatswood for over 15 years and have dozens of reviews and multiple awards that you can also check out. Our Google reviews are here, WOMO reviews are here and FaceBook here.
Table of Contents
What is massage?
Massage is one of the oldest treatments known to humankind and encompasses many variations. The following information introduces you to the different types of massage that we practice here at Feel Amazing Wellness Centre in Chatswood.
In its most simple form, massage is touch therapy. The therapist touches the patient in a therapeutic manner that helps alleviate pain, tension and discomfort. The treatment is focused on various parts of the body to loosen and manipulate soft tissue to improve health and wellbeing.
Massage oil is often used on the skin to help the therapist’s hands glide along the skin reducing surface tension. They use their hands to find any problem areas and using a variety of techniques release tightness. It is a form of manual therapy that includes holding, moving and applying pressure to muscles, tendons, ligaments and fascia.
More importantly, massage helps people to feel better. At Feel Amazing Wellness Centre, we want to work with you to help you to feel amazing, so it’s our speciality.
Massage is a recognised form of health treatment. Between busy lives and stressful demands, health challenges, physical activities and sports, our bodies can be impacted.
Having a massage is a way of doing something to help ourselves. It releases tension held in our bodies, providing a positive effect on the nervous system, circulation and blood flow.
The benefits of massage are holistic, some of which include:
- A reduction in muscles stiffness
- Relief of muscle spasms
- Greater range of movement
- Relief of stress and tension
- Aiding faster healing of an injury
- Reducing pain and inflammation
- Improving posture
- Improving immunity
- Enhancing the body and mind connection.
You can see why it’s become so popular, an accepted and often considered an essential way of managing our health and wellbeing. It’s also quite relaxing and we love hearing how our clients feel amazing as they surface from their massage room, usually feeling like they are floating their way out the door. (Or wanting another room to take a nap in afterwards!)
Massage has many well-known benefits and not only to feel amazing afterwards. Research shows that there are benefits for a variety of medical conditions, as well as for children to older adults. We treat people who have short term injury to others with more complex or chronic conditions. There are physical and emotional benefits to massage that are enhanced through regular treatments. Many of our clients find this then helps them to better manage not only their health and sense of wellbeing, but cope with their day to day activities, work demands, stress, illness, and family life. Getting a massage can be relaxing and a great way to take some time out for yourself. The positives of having massage are just amazing!
Physical and emotional benefits of massage can include:
- Releasing muscle tension, improving joint mobility, addressing postural or injury issues in the body bringing a sense of general wellbeing from the change in hormones that calm and relax mind and body - releasing the feel-good hormones (such as endorphins and enkephalins), while reducing the stress-inducing ones (such as norepinephrine, epinephrine and cortisol)
- Reducing both physical and emotional stress through focused relaxation and changes in heart rate, breathing and muscle tension (reduction of headaches a common outcome)
- Improving circulation, reducing inflammation (which is important in managing chronic conditions and healing injury)
- Reduction in pain and the activation of pain receptors in the spinal cord and muscles
- Boosting immunity, improving lymphatic drainage and eliminating toxins from the body while oxygenating cells
- Helping in the management of many health issues including anxiety, digestive disorders, insomnia, headache, TMJ and musculoskeletal disorders
At Feel Amazing, we have experience working with people who have a variety of health concerns and find that massage helps with reducing many symptoms, providing time out for self-care and often brings about changes both physically and mentally. There are various studies on the emotional benefits of massage and our staff are sensitive to providing a professional space to relax and rebalance your sense of wellbeing.
Have you been doing or experiencing any of the following:
- Working on the computer or sitting down for long periods
- Recovering from injury
- Looking down using your smartphone
- Carrying something heavy
- Woken up with a stiff neck or it’s hard to find a comfortable position to sleep in
- Having trouble sleeping
- Preparing for a sporting event, been getting cramping after training, or aiming to improve your PB
- Feeling stressed, have muscle tension
- Or have a condition that leads to aches and pains…
Then massage can help you and your body to feel better!
At Feel Amazing we can also offer treatments such as acupuncture, chiropractic, and naturopathy, to treat not only the symptoms that impact day to day life but to address how your body is functioning. While feeling better is great, we also want to support you on the path back to improved health and wellness so you can be feeling amazing more of the time.
What can massage treat?
With so many benefits to massage, it’s not surprising that it helps with quite a few health conditions.
The following is a list of some of what we see almost daily here in Chatswood:
- Pain - including muscle tension, back, shoulder and neck pain - This is probably what massage therapists treat the most, whether its postural pain from using a computer all day for work or study, or from activities like carrying the kids or weekend sport.
- Sports injuries – from pulled hamstrings to shoulder injuries and twisted ankles. We also work in conjunction with physiotherapists and sports doctors so that our treatments are synergistic to any other treatment you may be receiving.
- Headaches and migraines – There have been many studies to show that massage can be an effective adjunct to other treatments for migraine or as a standalone treatment in other cases. Mild to severe headaches also respond very well to treatment.
- Repetitive stress injuries – such as shoulder, neck, forearm, and lower back problems.
- Plantar fasciitis – Another commonly seen issue that massage can help. It is fortunate that we receive referrals from local podiatrists so that we can help treat this often-debilitating condition.
- Anxiety and depression – One research study that stands out over the last few years shows that massage helps with a type of anxiety called generalized anxiety disorder or GAD. This study looked at the actual benefits of different massage techniques, making it more relevant to our profession. Where other studies have shown that massage helps anxiety and depression, this study compared remedial massage to light touch. The outcome of the study reported remedial massage provided far greater benefit. (NB – In the study the term Swedish massage was used, however in Australia, this type of massage is known as remedial massage and Swedish massage is a different technique. The remedial massage usually has far more benefit.)
- Fatigue – Even though massage can result in feeling relaxed, it can help with fatigue conditions. While research is limited for why this happens; the consensus is that due to massage’s proven effect on the hormones that improve mood and sleep, we then get better sleep and therefore, better rest.
- Insomnia related to stress – Due to massage increasing our sleep hormone output (melatonin) as well as serotonin, you get a better night sleep and studies have shown it helps with stress-related insomnia.
Why choose massage at Feel Amazing?
We are award winning! While the team value the work we do, your reviews (WOMO, Google) and the many awards we’ve won (WOMO 5-star rating 2018) also speak towards our commitment to continue to be one of the best massage businesses in Chatswood and on the Lower North Shore. Being in Chatswood for over 15 years and having connections with local families, schools and other businesses, our reputation is something we also value.
Feel Amazing is who we are and what we do. At our centre, you’ll find a realistic approach to wellness. We value the connections we create with our clients and hope to offer you a warm approach to wellness. We have strived to separate ourselves from the fake wellness industry that creates pressure through unrealistic lifestyle pursuits and image-conscious expectations. Rather we encourage you to feel comfortable and relaxed about seeking helpful information and effective treatment. You can even listen to the music you enjoy while having a massage. As we are all human, often trying to do our best and are here to enjoy this life, we fully support healthy living but base our practices on what we know works and what simple actions can make a big difference. If we can help you feel better, then that matters to us.
Feel Amazing Wellness Centre is also one of the most well-known providers of pregnancy massage. There are very few centres who offer what we do. With all our staff offering this type of massage and having the most amazing pregnancy cushions which allow you to lie comfortably supported while face down. It makes a pregnancy massage not only relaxing, but we treat many common aches and pains that a woman can experience throughout her pregnancy. To see more about pregnancy massage, click here.
A lot of people hear about us through word of mouth, from someone who has been to us before. We have clients who over the years tell us that they may have tried elsewhere due to moving jobs or address but come back again to see us! We also see the family and children of people we treated when the business first opened. At Feel Amazing, we value the people we have contact with, maintaining these relationships and continuing to provide a high standard of treatment and care.
We are committed to holistic care, so often work with other health professionals to provide more thorough and focused care. That includes within our own multidisciplinary team of trained professionals and we receive referrals from podiatrists, physiotherapists, exercise physiologists, midwives and doctors seeking complimentary treatment for their clients and patients. We also have contact with Facebook groups, local businesses and have trusted suppliers of practitioner approved and tested herbal supplements and health-related products.
In conjunction with providing massage, advice is available from our Naturopath at Feel Amazing about what lifestyle changes and nutritional supplements may be of benefit for you while addressing your individual health and wellbeing needs. When you make a naturopathic booking with Anthony the option is available for online Skype consultations and ordering products that may be prescribed is now even easier with a new online system (deliveries arrive by post to you usually the next business day). We also have an Acupuncturist and a Chiropractor working here at Feel Amazing Wellness Centre who are available for appointments that allow enough time to focus on your individual care needs.
What qualifications do our massage therapists have?
At Feel Amazing Wellness Centre, located in Chatswood (Westfield carpark available nearby), we have both male and female therapists who are fully qualified, registered with health funds (HICAPS is available for on the spot claiming) and their professional associations.
The team are all experienced in their professions and all can provide a range of techniques, including pregnancy care. You can get to know each of us with an introduction to team members available on our website. We like to think we are professional yet friendly, experienced yet open to learning and committed to finding the best treatment approach for your individual situation. We keep up to date with research and will look for answers when needed. When working at Feel Amazing each staff member is reminded that their focus is on the person they are treating. One of our philosophies is that we have two ears to listen and one mouth to speak, so listening is more important than talking about ourselves. We don’t mind a chat during a massage but will follow your lead as the time is to be focused on you. As we are open 7 days a week, we have bookings available for when you can make the time to see us. We aim for and are committed to working with you to help you to improve your health and wellbeing.
What types of massage do we offer?
There are a variety of techniques and types of massage:
Remedial massage - is the most common type, where techniques are used that are appropriate for your presenting needs and symptoms. The aim is to restore health and function. If you are claiming a private health fund rebate, then remedial massage is the registered type of treatment. We have HICAPS available so you can bring your health fund card and pay the gap for any type of massage you have on the day.
Sports massage - is focused predominantly on treating sports injuries or getting the body ready for a sporting event and then helping its recovery after. We treat many junior and senior athletes in a variety of sporting disciplines including track and field, distance running, football, fencing, rugby, league, rowing, swimming, tennis and basketball; just to name a few!
Relaxation massage - often referred to as Swedish massage in Australia, is a lighter treatment aimed purely at relaxing the body. Although recent research has shown that even a mildly deeper touch can have greater benefits in the long run.
Pregnancy massage - is a specialty of Feel Amazing. We are the only clinic offering this in Chatswood from conception to childbirth. We have a team of highly trained therapists in this area and take pride in our ability to help alleviate your aches and pains as you go through your pregnancy, with us supporting you along the way. We have invested in speciality equipment that ensures 95% of our pregnant clients can lie face down until their due date.
How we can work with you
Our therapists can offer you an individualised treatment using both our skills and your preferred techniques based on your symptoms and current health concerns. They may incorporate deep tissue, acupressure, lymphatic drainage, swiss or sports massage techniques. You don’t have to choose a type of massage but can let us know your preference (including if you like a firm massage, are seeking relaxation, or have specific requirements) when making a booking. Then talk to your therapist when they introduce themselves and ask you what you would like from the booking that day. We will work with you to address what your body needs and encourage you to give us feedback during or after the tresatment as needed.
On the Feel Amazing website www.feelamazing.com.au you can find information on each team member’s professional background; we have 5 staff available for massage bookings which can also be made through our website. They all can provide the different types of massage, but you may like to book with the team member whose skills and background match the type of treatment you are seeking. If you are unsure, just give us a call on 9412 1177 and we can help you with your booking options.
Massage can be had as a stand-alone treatment or in conjunction with techniques such as the use of cupping to enhance blood flow and muscle release, while recommending stretches or exercises may also be appropriate. We also offer acupuncture or naturopathic needling. Many of our clients combine the acupuncture/needling treatment with massage to get the most out of their sessions. Another option is using massage to support your chiropractic care. A relaxed and functioning body responds better, aiding the body’s ability to rebalance, heal and recover.
Just as it is recommended to do regular exercise, a regular schedule of maintenance massage treatments can help relieve symptoms and improve long term outcomes. To help make this easier, we offer a massage pre-pay deal, which offers generous savings that can be also used by your family members and friends.
What helps to maintain the benefits after a massage (how should I feel?)
The following suggestions will help you get the most from your massage:
1. Drink extra water – during massage circulation is improved, this helps flush waste products from stressed muscles and other tissues. Drinking water aids circulation and kidney function, which are both involved with relieving the body of waste products. Drinking extra water can also assist in the reduction of soreness and fatigue after treatment. Drinking water can also help if you are feeling a little ‘spacey’ after the massage has ended. This is common. It can come from a drop in your blood pressure after lying down, as blood flow is improved. Give yourself time to come back and face the world outside again.
2. Schedule time to take it easy after your treatment – receiving a massage may facilitate relaxation. Rest if you feel fatigued. Fighting tiredness will only prolong it and make you feel worse when it finally catches up with you. If possible, take some time to power nap or plan to go to bed early.
3. If the focus of your massage is around an injury or specific body part, remember to stretch, ice or apply heat to that area with the advice of your therapist. Gentle movement, such as walking, can encourage your muscles to work in a balanced and efficient way. Stretching can also increase the benefits of massage and support your recovery. Ask your therapist for some stretches that will assist you specifically.
4. People sometimes experience some soreness for 24 hours or so after a remedial massage. If you feel sore or anticipate soreness, you may find stretching gently in a hot shower or taking a warm bath with Epsom salts can help. Remember to tell your therapist about your experience so it can be taken into consideration in your next session.
Risks of massage and contraindications
Most people can benefit from massage. However, there are some contraindications as follows:
- Bleeding disorders
- Burns or healing wounds that are in the target area
- Deep vein thrombosis
- Fractures that are in the target area
- Severe osteoporosis
- Severe thrombocytopenia
If this is the case for you, then it is always advisable to discuss having a massage with your doctor before making a booking, or if you have other serious health conditions. This is also recommended if you have cancer.
Some forms of massage can result in pain or discomfort and this may be felt the next day. However, it is not normally painful or uncomfortable. If during your massage you experience pain, then let your therapist know. This usually comes from too much pressure, so this can be adjusted to your level of comfort and how your body responds to the treatment.
Where to from here?
With massage being so popular, we recommend booking ahead, but with our online booking system you can make your appointment any time. Otherwise, feel free to phone us on (02) 9412 1177. We have massage bookings available 7 days per week.
If you would like to share the gift of feeling amazing, our popular gift vouchers can be purchased online through our website. They are available for all 30, 45, 60, and 90 - minute massages, or for a value you choose.
Feel Amazing Wellness Centre is also a listed supplier of Dr Graeme Professional Strength General Purpose Massagers – a custom built massage tool commonly used for trigger point release by many professionals, including chiropractors. They are available to purchase at Feel Amazing Wellness Centre located at Shop 10, 3-9 Spring Street, Chatswood 2067.
Remedial massage - https://www.healthdirect.gov.au/remedial-massage
Massage benefits research - https://www.mayoclinic.org/healthy-lifestyle/stress-management/in-depth/massage/art-20045743