The Feel Amazing Chatswood Dry Needling Information Page
At Feel Amazing Wellness Centre we have qualified and experienced dry needling practitioners who can provide this treatment which is designed to ease muscle pain. Dry needling involves the insertion of thin short sterile needles into the skin – there is no fluid in the needles, hence the word ‘dry’ needling.
It is an effective treatment in the management of neuromusculoskeletal pain and impaired movement. Used in conjunction with our other services, the aim is to help our clients by relieving pain, aid recovery from injury and achieve optimal health.
What is dry needling?
Dry needling looks like acupuncture, as sterile thin stainless steel needles are inserted into the skin, however, dry needling is a treatment developed over the last few decades. It is specifically used for muscular and skeletal issues, whereas Acupuncture is used as part of TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine). In a Dry needling treatment, the fine needles are inserted into trigger points (areas of muscle tension or knots), tendons, ligaments, or near nerves in order to stimulate a healing response in painful musculoskeletal conditions.
What can dry needling treat?
Chatswood Dry needling can help treat pain and dysfunction in musculoskeletal conditions. Common conditions or symptoms treated include:
- Neck pain
- Shoulder impingement
- Tennis elbow
- Carpal tunnel syndrome
- Knee pain (Osteoarthritis)
- Plantar fasciitis
- Low back pain
- Strains and sprains
Does dry needling work?
It is an effective scientifically researched treatment that usually results in improved range of motion, reduced pain and often the ability to do more activity than prior to treatment.
Who can provide dry needling?
Dry needling should be done by appropriately qualified and experienced practitioners. At Feel Amazing Wellness Centre, we have several staff with this qualification. Their areas of expertise are detailed below.
What qualifications are required in Australia?
Courses are accredited and depending on the practitioners existing knowledge and experience, this will determine the course needed to qualify.
Does dry needling hurt?
Some temporary pain is normal when the needles are inserted in some locations in the body. The trigger point being targeted may initially twitch at this time – this is a good sign as it means the needle is in the right spot. The treatment releases inflammatory chemicals and restores blood flow to the area. Pain usually subsides as the muscle releases or a more dull ache may be experienced.
Are there any risks?
As with any health treatment, there may be risks. These can include:
- Minor skin bleeding
- Pain during or following treatment
- Emotionally reacting to needles that can trigger sweating or nausea, dizziness
- Contraindications exist if a patient has a bleeding disorder or takes blood thinners. Medical advice should be sought before treatment and the practitioner informed.
It is important to receive treatment from a trained practitioner. They can advise you on any discomfort you may experience or concerns you may have.
All needles used at Feel Amazing by our dry needling practitioners are single use sterilised professional grade acupuncture needles. Only our experienced practitioners will provide dry needling treatment. It is not offered by our other massage therapists unless they have the additional appropriate qualifications and experience.
What to expect after dry needling treatment:
Some soreness may be felt afterwards. This varies with the individual and their body’s response to treatments. Some people benefit from using a heat pack to aid any residual soreness or muscle pain. It may feel similar to having done a work out at the gym or when you’ve had a really good massage! Often the initial discomfort gives way to an amazing change in the body and how you feel. While no one really likes pain, even if it lasts a few seconds, dry needling is often seen as an effective way to treat injury and tight muscles, with some clients calling it ‘good pain’.
It may take a couple of sessions for the affected muscle to be functioning properly again.
What helps to maintain the benefits of dry needling?
- Listen to your body and don’t over do things physically afterwards
- Drink plenty of water
- Stretch and move your body to keep those muscles from tightening up again
What makes Feel Amazing in Chatswood different?
At Feel Amazing Wellness Centre we have practitioners who use dry needling or a combination of disciplines.
- Naturopathic dry needling
- Chiropractic dry needling
1. Naturopathic dry needling is a technique developed and provided by our own naturopath at Feel Amazing, Anthony. It is a holistic treatment that supports the body’s functioning, focusing on treating symptoms and underlying health conditions, as well as the prevention of illness. This style of treatment blends aspects of Eastern and Western approaches to medicine. It involves the insertion of extremely thin sterile needles through the skin at specific points on the body. Through these points, the meridians and energy flows may be accessed. Illness is said to be the consequences of an imbalance of these forces. In appropriate combinations, the energy flow is said to be brought back into proper balance. Linking body, mind and emotions. Then where there are areas of muscle tightness or injury, these can also be treated through adapted dry needling techniques.
Our clients have found the benefits of this treatment to include relieving pain, inflammation, balancing the body’s release of natural hormones, aiding faster healing of injury, also easing stress and improving a sense of wellbeing. We have also had success in treating headaches, migraines and TMJ symptoms. The needling is often used in combination with massage (claimable for health funds under remedial massage), helping to release muscles that are very tight, in spasm or areas sensitive to touch, before massage treatment afterwards.
2. Chiropractic dry needling, as provided by our Chatswood Chiropractor Elijah, is a technique that focuses on the benefits of dry needling in combination with chiropractic care.
By identifying musculoskeletal pain, trigger points, muscle tension, scar tissue, then inserting a thin sterilised needle/s into these areas to help release them, this loosens up the tension, improving joint function, range of motion, reducing pain and aiding in the healing of soft tissue injury. Both acute and chronic conditions can be treated including low back pain, hip pain, muscle strains and tendinopathies (Tennis/Golfers Elbow).
Chatswood Chiropractor Elijah’s dry needling can then be followed by soft tissue work on the area needing treatment (claimable for health funds under chiropractic). This targeted skilled intervention is based on your individual symptoms and health needs, which compliments the chiropractic treatment approach.
3. Acupuncture involves the insertion of fine and sterile thin needles through the skin at these specific points on the body. You can read more about Chatswood Acupuncturist Sumin’s treatment options on our acupuncture web page (claimable for health funds under acupuncture).
At Feel Amazing, any plan of treatments will be based on your individual health and wellbeing needs. While benefit can happen after the first treatment, it may involve further appointments until lasting change is reached.
What about pregnancy care?
Please be aware that it’s important to try and get 3-4 treatments in before your due date for the best results. Several outpatient studies have shown that having acupuncture before the birth decreases labour times and supports overall better outcomes.
Our Pregnancy Massage web page has in-depth information on massage during pregnancy and a blog post that Anthony wrote on the safety of pregnancy massage, which is recommended reading for anyone nervous about having a pregnancy massage.
How do I book?
Online booking is available (click on the links below) Feel Amazing Wellness Centre can be contacted on 9412 177 / 0434 941 177 or email